Every woman out there wants to have an enviable mane. But sometimes the thing that is stopping you from achieving those healthy and shiny locks are the basic hair care mistakes you are committing in your daily routine. In order to maintain the health of your hair, there are certain rules you must abide by. Here is the compilation of those 12 things you should NEVER do to your hair.
1. Over washing your hair- The sebaceous glands on our scalp produce natural oils that are extremely essential for maintaining the health of your hair and scalp. Over-washing may strip your hair off these natural oils making them dry, rough and brittle. If you have extremely oily hair, washing your hair thrice a week is enough to keep your hair clean and to maintain its health. For normal to dry hair, washing them twice a week is appropriate. On days when your hair feels very greasy you can use a dry shampoo to absorb the excess oil.
2. Using hot tools while your hair is wet- By no means try to style your wet hair using hot tools such as curling rods and straightening irons, as your hair will get fried right away. Even combing wet hair with a narrow comb may lead to serious damage and breakage to the hair shaft. When hair is damp they are more prone to breakage. Wet hair should be left alone and if you really want to comb through them use a wide toothed combed to gently comb your hair.
3. Not using a heat protectant before styling- Heat protectant creates a barrier between your hair and the heat from the styling tool and protects the hair shaft from getting burned or damaged from the direct heat. Heat protectant should be applied at least 20 -30 minutes prior to the use of hot tools.
4. Using too many products- When it comes to measuring hair products you must have heard about the dime sized portion. Also, most of the hair product bottles explain the right amount of product to be used in order to achieve the best results. Using too much product can mess up your hair, making them too dry or too oily.
5. Using conditioner in place of shampoo- Shampoo and conditioner have their own jobs to perform. The shampoo is meant for cleansing the scalp and hair, whereas conditioner is meant to moisturize the ends of your hair. Therefore, it is prohibited to apply conditioner to the roots of your hair as doing so will make your scalp extremely oily and greasy. Prolonged use of conditioner may irritate your scalp, causing dandruff and other scalp related problems.
6. Over-brushing your hair- Some people swear by the trick of brushing their hair 100 strokes a day in order to make them grow faster and healthier. But this belief does not sound very realistic and neither are the results. On the contrary, over-brushing your hair may lead to weak roots and hair breakage.
7. Tight hairstyles- Hairstyles that are too tight can damage your hair in the long run. When you tie your hair in tight hairstyles or ponytails, your hair gets pulled from the roots causing damage to the hair follicles. In certain rare cases, the damage caused to the roots might be permanent. Hence, it is advisable to avoid tight hairstyles as much as possible.
8. Using dirty hairbrush- When you brush your hair with your hairbrush a lot of bacteria and dead skin cells get trapped in the bristles. When you don’t clean your hairbrushes on a daily basis, these things start accumulating in the brush and ultimately get transferred back to your scalp.
9. Using hot water to wash your hair- If you don’t want to damage your hair never ever wash your hair with hot water. The hot water will strip your hair of the natural oils and make them dry and brittle. For washing your hair, lukewarm water is the best bet.
10. Not changing your hair products accordingly- So, you have got your hair bleached or colored, but you are still using your same old shampoo and other hair products that you were using earlier. After you get any treatment done on your hair, the needs of your hair will also change with that. Thus, it is very important to change your products accordingly.
11. Brushing your hair starting from the roots- Make sure while detangling your hair, you should always start from the ends of your hair. When you start from your roots, you are surely gonna lose much more hair than you normally would.
12. Too much exposure to the sun- The way your skin gets damaged when exposed to the sun’s rays for a prolonged period of tie similarly your hair may also get damaged from too much sun exposure. This can be avoided by covering your hair with a hat or a scarf while going out in the sun. The damage caused by the sun can also be altered or maintained by using a damage repairing mask once every week.
Incoming search terms:
- 17 things we should never do with our hair (1)
- five things you never do to yoyr hair (1)
- thing you should never do with your hair (1)
- things never do with hair (1)
- things you should never do to your hair (1)
- what should never apply on hairs (1)