Cough and cold are not a very serious health issue but can easily disrupt our daily routine. Sometimes the condition gets a little worse and you have to take cough suppressing drugs but most of the times our trusty home remedies are enough to deal with it. Below we have mentioned 7 of the most effective home remedies to treat cough and sore throat.
1. Turmeric- Turmeric is known for its antiseptic and antibacterial properties making one of the best remedies to treat cough.
- The first way to utilize turmeric for treating a cough is by drinking turmeric milk or haldi dudh. This is one remedy which people swear by in India, at least. Heat 1 glass of milk and to this add ½ tsp. of turmeric powder. Stir it well and drink it while it is hot.
- Boil half a cup of water in a pot. To this hot water add 1 tsp. of ground turmeric and 1 tsp. of black pepper. Yu can also add cinnamon sticks if you want to. Continue boiling this water for 2-3 minutes and then turn the flame off. To this spiced water add 1 tbsp. of honey. Drink this concoction every day.
- You can also prepare a tea from it as well. To a cup of water add 1 tsp. of turmeric powder and 1 tsp of carom or ajwain seeds and boil it till the water gets reduced to half. Add a little bit of honey to this and drink it at least 2-3 times a day.
- Another way of using turmeric for treating a cough is by mixing roasted, powdered turmeric root with water and honey and drinking it twice daily.
2. Ginger- Ginger is very warm in nature and that warm nature makes it a wonderful remedy for a curing cough.
- Take a fresh root of ginger, cut them into small pieces and crush them a little bit. Pu them in a pan and add a cup of water to it. Bring this water to a boil. Once boiled, strain it and drink it at least 3 times a day a day to get relief. This drink may not appeal your taste buds, but in order to make it taste better, try adding some honey and lemon juice to it.
- Another way is chewing fresh raw ginger all throughout the day.
3. Lemon- Lemon has the tendency to reduce inflammation. Plus it has vitamin C which helps in fighting with infections. Lemons can be used in various ways for treating cough.
- You can create your own homemade cough syrup using lemon juice which is just as effective as the store-bought one. Combine 2 tbsp. of lemon juice with 1 tbsp. of honey. Drink this syrup at least twice a day to get relief.
- An alternate way is to combine drink warm water with lemon juice and honey with a pinch of cayenne pepper in it.
4. Garlic- Garlic contains both antimicrobial and antibacterial properties that help in treating cough and sore throat.
- To a cup of water add 2-3 cloves of garlic and 1 tsp. oregano and boil this water. Once boiled take it off the flame and let it come to room temperature and then add some honey and drink it. This concoction will alleviate the symptoms and provide relief.
- If you can, then try to eat a raw garlic clove. Crush the garlic clove, add 2 drops of clove oil and a little bit of honey to it and eat it. This will provide you a lot of relief.
5. Gargle- The best way to reduce the symptoms of a sore throat or cough is to gargle with warm salt water. The salt helps in draining the excess fluid from the sore areas in the throat, eventually reducing the symptoms. Gargling with salt water also gets rid of throat irritants as well as mucus.
6. Hot beverages- Hot drinks such as teas, soup or even warm water can provide a great amount of relief. The warmth of these beverages reduce the inflammation to a great extent and provide some relief.
7. Honey- Honey is considered very effective in treating sore throat and cough. It soothes the inflamed throat lining and thus provides relief. You can combine honey with other cough soothing ingredients such as turmeric. If you are dealing with a dry cough then eat some honey mixed with grape juice, you get instant relief.
Hot milk with some honey is perfect to provide you some relief from cough during night time. You can also 1 tsp. raw honey to reap its benefits.
Apart from these home remedies, there are several over the counter options are also available which will provide a faster relief.
Cough syrups, cough drops, vapours, etc. are also very effective.
If none of the home remedies or over the counter medicines prove ineffective and the cough persists for a very long period of time then you must consult a doctor and get a thorough examination done.