Oily skin looks sticky and is often difficult to get it under control. It’s really irritating when you are continuously carrying a tissue to wipe-out that extra shine from the face every now and then, especially during the summer time. Also to add to the frustration, there are products which claim to eliminate the oil but, often make the situation worse. This happens because we don’t exactly know what process to opt for, to remove the oil and cleanse your skin.
So, read on to know the perfect skincare routine to maintain your oily skin.
1. Cleansing- The first step of any good skincare routine starts with a cleanser. The primary step of all skincare routine begin with getting rid of all the accumulated dirt and makeup which can clog your pores. When choosing a cleanser for oily skin, always choose the one that does not contain any oil, soap or wax in it. Look for ingredients such as salicylic acid and glycolic acid as these are great exfoliants which help in getting rid of the dead skin cells.
People who have oily skin should avoid using soap based cleanser at all costs as these will only worsen your skin condition by making it oilier.
2. Toners- People with oily skin tend to have a lot of open pores. Using a toner after cleansing your face will tighten your pores and also get rid of any leftover dirt or makeup residue. But always go for an alcohol-free toner as you don’t want to dry up or irritate your skin. After cleansing your face use a cotton pad to apply the toner all over your face.
3. Moisturizer- Contrary to the popular belief that oily skin does not need moisturizer, it is very important to apply moisturizer even when you have oily skin. To maintain the sanctity of the skin it important that you apply a moisturizer every time you wash your face in order to replenish the lost moisture. Choose a moisturizer especially formulated for oily skin. A good oil free moisturizer would also work just fine.
4. Face masks- Clay masks are best suited for oily skin as these have the ability to draw out the excess oil from deep within your pores, making you skin feel refreshed. Use a clay mask once a week to clean your pores and get rid of the excess oil which may also lead to acne. But don’t exceed the use of these or else you will end up drying your skin.
5. Gel based or oil free sunscreens- No matter what your skin type is, you cannot skip this step. Daily sun protection is a must for all skin types. Oily skinned people must opt for gel based or oil free sunscreens as the traditional ones can be too oily for them. Go for a sunscreen that has an SPF protection of not less than SPF 35. Apply the sunscreen at least 30 minutes prior heading out of your house.
6. Oil controlling pads- These oil controlling face pads are enriched with oil controlling ingredients such as salicylic and glycolic acid. These come very handy when you are out and need to freshen up your oily skin instantly.
7. Seek help- If you are not too sure about what products to pick, seek help from a dermatologist. The dermatologist will perform an examination to find out your exact skin type and will suggest you products accordingly.