The discoloration of the under eye skin is referred to as dark circles. The dark circles may appear due to a lot of reasons which may include age, heredity, prolonged depression or stress, dry skin, watching T.V or looking at computer monitors for long hours, unhealthy diet and lack of sleep. Both males and females of various age group may suffer from this condition.
Though it is not a serious problem, but it sure can make you look tired, older, unhealthy and exhausted. Thankfully, there are several home remedies that are proven effective in treating dark circles.
Home Remedies For Treating Dark Circles
1. Almond Oil- Almond oil is a great natural ingredient that works wonders for treating the delicate skin around the eye. With regular usage of almond oil you will notice that you’re under eye dark circles will be minimized to a great extent. In addition to this, you can also use Vitamin E oil to eradicate them from under your eyes.
How to use it-Before going to bed use just a tiny bit of almond oil around your eye area and massage gently. Next morning wash it off. When followed regularly this remedy can make your dark circles disappear.
2. Cucumber – Cucumber is naturally astringent in nature and also have skin lightening properties, which is helpful in rectifying panda eyes. Another plus is their cooling and refreshing nature that makes your eyes feel refreshed and awake instantly.
How to use it- Take a cucumber and cut it into thick slices. Place these slices in the refrigerator for 20 minutes. Once they are chilled place these slices on your eyes and relax for 10 minutes or till the slices are cold. Rinse your eyes with water. Repeat this twice a week or more, if you prefer.
Another way of using cucumber for treating under eye dark circles is to use the juice of it. To start off with this one, mix equal amount of cucumber juice and lemon juice. Apply this concoction on the affected area and leave on for fifteen minutes. Rinse with cold water. This remedy should be repeated at least once a week in order to notice visible results.
3. Raw Potato- Potatoes contain natural bleaching agents in it which are effective in reducing the darkness of the under eye skin. It also minimizes the puffiness around the eyes.
How to use it- Peel a raw potato and grate it. Squeeze out the juice from the potato. Now take two cotton balls and dip them into the juice, and place it over your closed eyes. Make sure to cover your eyelids well with cotton. Let the eyes soak up all the juices for at least 15- 20 minutes. Rinse your eyes with cold water. This home remedy should be followed once or twice a week in order to see the difference.
Or instead you can cut thick potato slices and place them on your eyes in order to receive the same benefits.
4. Rose Water- Rose water is one such ingredient that works incredibly well for getting rid of those stubborn dark circles. It also soothes tired eyes. It has mild astringent properties makes it a wonderful toner as well.
How to use it- Soak cotton pads in cold rose water and place the soaked cotton pads on your closed eyes. Leave them on and relax for 15 minutes. Follow this remedy daily for a few weeks.
5. Tea Bags- The antioxidants and caffeine present in the tea can be highly effective in treating the under eye dark circles and the puffiness around the eyes by constricting the blood vessels and fluid retention is also reduced.
How to use it- Take two used tea bags and place them in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes. Take out the tea bags from the refrigerator and place them on your eyes. Leave them on for 15 minutes and then rinse your face with cold water. Repeat this at least twice a week in order to see results.
6. Honey- Honey also contains natural bleaching properties and anti-inflammatory that is helpful in lightening the under eye dark circles. Honey is rich in several essential nutrients and has amazing benefits for your skin and overall health.
How to use it- Honey can be directly applied on the skin or can also be consumed orally for attaining its benefits. Apply a thin layer of honey on your under eye area, to minimize the appearance of dark circles.
7. Lemon Juice- Lemons contain high content of Vitamin C and is very helpful in getting rid of dark circles due to its natural bleaching properties.
How to use it- Lemon juice can be applied directly onto your skin. Use a cotton pad to apply freshly squeezed lemon juice onto the under eye skin. Rinse off your face after 10 minutes. Another way of using lemon juice is by making a thick paste by combining 1 tbs. of lemon juice, 2 tbsp. tomato puree, little bit of gram flour and a pinch of turmeric powder. Apply this paste on your face and rinse it off after 15 minutes. Repeat this remedy twice or thrice a week.