Khasta in literal terms means anything that is flaky. In Indian cuisine, Khasta is referred to the delectable moong dal kachori deep fried in oil. The kachoris are fried on a low flame to get the crisp crust and softer from inside. The ideal Khasta Kachori is crispy from outside while hollow from inside. You can serve it with curd and chutney to make a lip-smacking chaat. You can store these kachoris in an air-tight container for at least a week. The dish will take 2-3 hours to make.
Also Read: Pyaaz Ki Kachori Recipe
For the dough:
- 2 cups plain flour
- Salt to taste
- 1/4th cup ghee
For the filling:
- ½ cup moong dal soaked in water for 2-3 hours and drained.
- 3 tbsp. oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/4th tsp asafoetida
- 1 tsp ginger and green chilli paste
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp. aamchoor
- 2 tbsp. besan.
- Oil for deep frying
- 3 cups whipped curd
- 4 tbsp. green chutney
- 8 tbsp. tamarind chutney
- ½ tsp roasted cumin seeds powder
- Red chilli powder for sprinkling
- 1 cup sev
- 4 tbsp. chopped coriander powder
How to Make Khasta Kachori Chaat?
For the Dough:
- Combine the ingredients in a bowl and mix it well. Use water to prepare a soft dough for kachoris.
- Cover the dough with a damp muslin cloth and let it sit for 25-30 minutes.
For the Filling:
- Grind the soaked and drained moong dal in a grinder to make a coarse powdery mixture. Do not add water. Keep this mixture aside.
- Heat some oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds are roasted. Add the asafoetida powder along with the moong dal mixture. Cook the dal on a low flame for few minutes.
- Add the ginger and green chilli paste. Add red chilli powder, garam masala, salt and besan to the dal. Cook on the medium flame for about 5 minutes. You will see that the moong dal has become lightly brown. Stir the dal continuously.
- Let the mixture cool down and divide it into 12 portions.
- Divide the dough into small divisions.
- Roll each of the division into a chapatti.
- Place the moong dal filling in the centre and seal the ends. Remove the excess of dough. And press it lightly at the centre.
- Roll the dough to prepare a kachori. Don’t apply too much pressure as it might spill the filling out.
- Press the kachori at the centre using your thumb. Keep it aside.
- Make the rest of the kachoris in a similar manner.
- Now heat some oil in a thick-bottomed non-stick kadhai. Deep fry the above-prepared kachoris for few minutes till they are brown and crisp. Put them on the tissue paper to soak the excess oil.
- Poke a hole at the centre of each and every kachori.
- Place 2 tbsp. of curd on the centre along with 1 tbsp. of green chutney and 2 tbsp. of tamarind chutney.
- Sprinkle the cumin seeds powders, red chilli powder and sev over it.
- Add the chopped coriander on top of it.
- The Khasta Kachori Chaat is ready to be devoured.
Incoming search terms:
- tips for crispy kachori (1)
- tips for soft kachori (1)
- why kachoris become oily (1)