An ultimate Indian snack dish, Masala Puri, is favorite of everyone in the house. Crispy, salty, light and delicious, all at the same time. How can anyone refuse to such savory snack item, tastes best while eaten taken with evening tea or just when you feel like having it.
They taste best with mango pickle and can be served as spicy crackers or chips. So, addicting and so delightful, this is my all-time favorite snack!
Also read: How to Make Sooji Kachori at Home
Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
Serves: 40 masala Puri
• 1 cup All-purpose Flour (maida, plain flour)
• 1/2 cup fine Sooji (semolina)
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed (jeera)
• 1/2 teaspoon carom seed (ajwain)
• 1/8 teaspoon asafetida (Hing)
• 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
• 2 tablespoon oil
• 1/2 cup water
• Refined oil to fry
How To Prepare:
1. Take a bowl and put all the dry ingredients like Maida, Sooji, Salt, Cumin seeds, Carom seeds, Asafetida and Red Chili flakes in it.
2. Now add oil to the bowl and mix it well. Add little amount of water at a time to make it in a nice and firm dough.
3. Then cover up the dough and leave it for around 10 minutes to set.
4. Now, after 10 minutes, take out the dough on a flat surface and divide it into 40equal parts. Then roll them in between your palms to give them a ball like a shape.
5. Now turn by turn, roll each dough ball into a flat circular Puri of about 3 inch wide.
6. Then to prevent Puri from puffing while frying, prick each of them with a fork into 3-4 places.
7. Next, place the pan on medium heat and pour about 1-inch finger-high oil in it. To check if the oil is ready to fry Puri in, put a tiny piece of dough and if the oil sizzles and the tiny piece rises, then it is ready.
8. Now start putting Puri in the oil, 5-6 at a time, or just enough to cover up the oil surface. (Make sure to keep the heat on medium, high heat will soften the Puri)
9. Fry until both sides turn very light golden brown, and take out on a paper towel.
Tip* Store Masala Puri in an air-tight container, they last for a couple of months at a time.