Uneven skin color and dark patches are referred as hyperpigmentation. This happens due to the excessive production of melanin. Hyperpigmentation may develop on almost any part of the body which include face, hands, neck, legs and arms.
The main reason that causes excess production of melanin normally involves hormonal chnages, pregnancy and other skin related issues. Other factors may involve skin injury, burning, over exposure to sun, stress or contact with certain chemicals.
Thankfully hyperpigmentation is not permanent and you can easily get rid of it by following these simple home remedies.
1. Lemon- The citric acid in lemons helps to bleach the skin, making it a perfect at home treatment for treating hyperpigmentation. When used regularly this can fade away dark spots and blemishes.
• Squeeze out fresh lemon juice from 1 lemon or rub ½ a lemon directly onto your face. Leave it on for 10 minutes and then rinse it off with cold water. Use this remedy twice a week for visible results.
• You can also prepare a mask by combining juice from ½ lemon and 1 tbsp. organic raw honey. Apply this mask on the affected area. Put a warm washcloth on your face for 15 minutes. Wash off your face with lukewarm water. Follow this face mask recipe at least once a week to see noticeable results.
Caution- People with sensitive should not apply lemon juice directly on their face without diluting it. Make sure to dilute the lemon juice with water or rose water whichever you prefer.
2. Raw Potato- Potatoes have mild bleaching properties that work well for getting rid of any sort of skin discoloration or hyperpigmentation. This due to the presence of an enzyme named as catecholase, which helps to lighten the skin tone.
• Take a peeled raw potato and cut it into thick slices. Poke the slices of the potato with a fork to let the juices come out. Rub these slices on your face for 5 minutes; then rinse your face with lukewarm water. Repeat this remedy every alternate day to see results.
• Take a medium sized peeled potato and grate it. Squeeze the juice out of the potato and add juice of ½ lemon to it. Apply this concoction on the affected area and leave it on your face for about 15 minutes. Rinse it off with cold water.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar- Apple cider vinegar is wonder product that works miraculously in treating almost every skin ailment including hyperpigmentation. Apple cider vinegar is acidic in nature and has astringent properties which make it a great remedy for treating hyperpigmentation and in restoring the complexion.
• If you are using apple cider for the first time on your face then you must dilute it before applying. Mix apple cider and water in 1:3 ratio and store it in a sanitized bottle. Use this as a toner every time after cleansing your face. You don’t have to rinse it off, but if your skin gets too red or itchy then you can rinse it off. Once your skin gets used to it you can apply ACV even without diluting it.
• You can also take ACV orally. Add 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar to a glass of warm water. Add 1 tsp. honey to it. Drink this health potion twice every day.
4. Vitamin E- Vitamin E is essential for the processing of vitamin A, which helps in lightening the dark spots, improves the skin’s health and fades skin discoloration. In the absence of vitamin E, the body cannot absorb vitamin A properly thus making the above-mentioned functions impossible.
• Take vitamin e capsule and puncture it. Pour out the contents into a bowl and add few drops of castor or coconut oil to it. Apply this concoction on the affected part of the skin at night before going to sleep. Wash it off the next morning with a facial cleanser and lukewarm water.
• You can also make a mask out of it. Take ½ cup of fuller’s earth, mashed papaya and contents from 2 vitamin e capsules. Mix the ingredients well to make a uniform paste. Apply this mask on your face and leave it on for 20 minutes before washing it off. Repeat this remedy once a week to notice visible results.
• Massage the affected part with vitamin e oil onto the affected area for 5-10 minutes daily in order to reduce hyperpigmentation.
5. Aloe Vera- Fresh aloe vera gel works brilliantly on fading hyperpigmentation due to the presence of mucilaginous polysaccharides which is known to lighten skin pigmentation and dark spots. It exfoliates the skin removing dead skin cells and promotes the production of new skin cells.
• Apply fresh aloe vera gel on the affected area every night before going to bed. You can also use store-bought aloe vera gel if you could not find fresh gel. In order to see results use this remedy religiously for at least 1 month.
• You can also make a mask out of aloe vera gel by combining 2 tbsp. aloe vera gel with 1 tbsp. raw honey. Apply this mask on the affected area. Wash this mask with lukewarm water after 20 minutes.