As the festival of colors is around the corner we thought of sharing this simple Thandai recipe because we all know this fact that in India no festival is complete without food drinks. Every occasion has its one signature recipe, and for Holi it is Thandai. In India, you can find different versions of Thandai, still, the basic recipe of this beverage remains the same. So, try out this simple recipe at home and enjoy the Holi festival with your family and friends.
Ingredients needed for Thandai recipe:
- Water- 1 cup
- Milk- 500 ml
- Sugar- as per requirement
- Almonds- 2 tablespoons
- Melon seeds- 2 tablespoons
- Poppy seeds- 1 tablespoon
- Aniseed- 1/2 tablespoon
- Green cardamom- 1/2 tablespoon
- Rose water- 1/2 teaspoon
- Peppercorns- 1 teaspoon
- Dry rose petals- 1/4th cup
- Fennel seeds- 100 grams
Also read: Aloo Kachori Recipe
Now, how to make thandai:
- First, soak fennel seeds, almonds, poppy seeds, and fennel seeds in one cup of water.
- Now, let it soak for 30 minutes.
- For more creamy texture of the almonds soak it overnight.
- Then, grind all the ingredients into a paste and keep it aside.
- In the meantime, boil milk and add few saffron strands to it.
- Mix them well and add sugar to it.
- Simmer until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Now, grind peppercorns and rose petals to get a fine powder.
- Then, add the paste that you made earlier to the milk with some cardamom powder.
- Again mix all the ingredients properly and let the mixture simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Now, turn off the flame and keep the milk aside for few minutes.
- Then, refrigerate the thandai for 2 to 3 hours.
- Before serving it, add some crushed rose petals, chopped almonds, and saffron starns on top and serve chilled.