Veg bonda is a variation to the very popular aloo bonda which is made with only potato filling. You can add your favourite veggies to the recipe but I have used only carrot, peas and potatoes. You can serve it as a snack or it can also be served as a side dish with the main course. Here is a step by step recipe of the same.
Also Read: Grilled Potato Sandwich Recipe
- Green peas- 50 grams
- Carrot- 50 grams (roughly chopped)
- Potato- 150 grams (roughly chopped)
- Water- 1 ½ cup
- For the tempering:
- Oil- ½ tsp.
- Mustard seeds- ¼ tsp.
- Urad dal- ¼ tsp.
- Green chilli- 1-2
- Ginger- 1-inch piece (finely chopped)
- Curry leaves- 8-10
- Asafoetida- a pinch
- Turmeric powder- 1/8 tsp.
- Salt- as per taste
- Lemon juice- ½ tsp.
- Coriander leaves- 2 tbsp. (chopped)
- For the batter:
- Gram flour/besan- ¾ cup
- Rice flour- 3 tbsp.
- Turmeric- a pinch
- Asafoetida- a pinch
- Red chilli powder- ¼ tsp.
- Salt- as per the requirement
- Water- 1/3 cup or as required to make a thick batter
- Oil- for deep frying
- Pressure cook the peas, carrot and potatoes with 1 ½ cup water.
- Cook for 3-4 whistles on a medium flame. Open the lid when the pressure subsides.
- Drain the excess water from the vegetable and store in a jar for later use.
- Mash the vegetables and keep them aside.
- In a pan heat some oil and add the mustard seeds to it. Let the mustard seeds crackle and then add the urad dal.
- Toast the dal until golden.
- Now add eh chopped ginger, curry leaves, asafoetida and the green chillies.
- Add the turmeric powder and stir very well.
- Now add the vegetable mash and stir everything really well.
- Add salt and mix again. Cook the vegetable mixture for 2-3 minutes or until all the moisture has evaporated.
- Turn off the flame and add the lemon juice and coriander leaves. Mix well.
- Transfer to a plate and let the mixture cool down.
- In another bowl add the gram flour, rice flour, turmeric, asafoetida, red chilli powder and salt.
- Add water to make a thick batter. Whisk the batter really well so that there are no lumps left.
- Heat oil in a kadhai for deep frying the bondas.
- Divide the vegetable mixture into equal parts and make medium sized balls of the mixture.
- Check the temperature of the oil. When the oil is hot enough, coat the vegetable ball in the prepared batter and place it in the oil.
- Cook the veg bonda on a medium flame from all the sides until golden and crisp.
- Remove from the oil and place the bondas on a paper towel to drain the excess oil.
- Prepare all the bondas in a similar manner.
- Serve the veg bonda hot with your favourite chutney, dip or tomato ketchup.
Also Read: Chilli Potato Recipe
Incoming search terms:
- How to prepare narmal bonda with combination (1)