Almost all of us are familiar with face acne, but let me enlighten you that your face is not the only place where acne occurs. Pimples or acne may occur on almost any part of the body including your face, legs, hands, back, chest and almost any part of the body. Often body acne is not given that much consideration as compared to face acne, especially when the body acne is hidden under our clothes and not visible. Leaving acne untreated for an extended period of time may lead to severe conditions.
Chest acne can just be as bothering as face acne as it can stop you from wearing clothes which show your chest part such as deep necks.
Chest acne can also be very painful just as face acne. Sometimes the pain can be so bad that it can even prohibit you from wearing any clothes at all. There are several factors which may lead to chest acne. Let’s have a look at the common symptoms which may lead to chest acne along with their remedies.
1. Blocked pores- No one really takes care of their body the same way they take care of their face. No one really scrubs their body or chest regularly which then leads to blocked pores due to the accumulation of sweat, dirt and dead skin cells. Even certain soaps and deodorants can block the pores leading to chest acne. Talcum powders or dusting powders are another reason for blocked chest pores. To avoid this situation and to unclog your pores make sure to scrub your chest area with a body scrub at least twice a week. Avoid using soaps that have a lot of fillers in them. Also, talcum powders are a big no-no.
2. Over sweating- People who sweat a lot have a greater chance of getting chest acne as compared to those who don’t. As the chest area remains mostly covered the sweat does not get to evaporate properly and add to the chances of getting acne. The best way to prevent chest acne, in this case, is to wear loose fitted cotton clothes which will let your skin breathe and absorb all the sweat as well.
3. A particular fabric- There are fabrics which can create friction on your chest area causing irritation which may cause a sudden outbreak of acne. It is also possible that you might have an allergy with a certain fabric which may lead to acne or may worsen the condition even more. In this case, the best remedy is to avoid wearing the fabrics which exaggerate your condition, rather opt for loose cotton clothes which will never irritate your skin.
4. Hormonal or genetic acne- Another reason which may cause chest acne is hormonal imbalance or genetics. While the former can be easily controlled by consulting your doctor, who will prescribe you with medicines to balance your hormones in the latter case all you can do is take the best possible care of your skin to keep the acne under control.
Now let’s have a look at the home remedies which can help you get rid of chest acne.
• Tea tree oil- Tea tree is oil is found to be one of the most effective remedies for treating face acne and works just as good for treating chest acne as well. Tea tree oil has antibacterial properties which make it such a potent treatment for acne. The best way to use tea tree oil for treating chest acne is to mix it with water and then spray it on the affected area. All you need to do is combine tea tree oil with water in the ratio of 1:100. Pour it in a spray bottle and spray this on your chest area every day after you come out of the shower. Make sure not to spray on a lot.
• Honey and cinnamon- Honey has naturally occurring antibacterial properties while cinnamon has anti-inflammatory properties and is rich in antioxidants making these two a lethal combination for fighting chest acne. In order to use honey and cinnamon for treating chest acne all you need to do is mix 1 tsp honey with ½ tsp. of cinnamon and mix it well. Apply this paste on the acne and leave it on for an hour. Wash it off with plain water and pat dry with a clean towel. This mask is beaten to be used as a spot treatment.
• Apple cider vinegar- Apple cider vinegar is probably that one product which can treat almost every skin related or health related problem in general and chest acne is no exception. ACV has anti-inflammatory properties and is slightly acidic in nature which helps in maintaining the pH level of the skin which could also be one of the potential reasons for chest acne. To make the ACV solution, mix equal amounts of water and apple cider vinegar in a bowl and apply it on the affected area or you can also pour the solution in a spray bottle and spray it onto the affected area.
• Baking soda- The baking soda acts as an amazing exfoliator which helps in unblocking the pores by scrubbing off dead skin cells and sweat and dirt build-up. Baking soda is alkaline in nature which dries out the skin, thus controlling the oil secretion. You may also need to follow it with a lotion as your skin might feel a bit dry after following this remedy. Make a paste by combining a 1 tbsp. Baking soda with just enough water to make a paste. Apply this pack on your chest and leave it on for 5 minutes and then scrub it off gently using wet hands.
• Sandalwood and turmeric mask- The two best-kept ingredients of the ancient Indian beauty- turmeric and sandalwood can help you get rid of the chest acne really fast. The skin soothing properties of sandalwood combined with the antiseptic properties of turmeric works really well to clear up the can very quickly and effectively. For this remedy try finding fresh turmeric. But if you can’t find it then you can use the dried one as well. Take a turmeric root (1 inch) and grind it to form a paste. To this paste add 1 tsp. of sandalwood powder to it and mix well. Apply this mask on the affected area and leave it on for half an hour. Once dry wash it off with plain water.