Heat stroke may not sound like something serious but the truth is that it should not be taken lightly. Sunstroke can get very serious sometimes as it may cause damage to your brain along with other parts of the body which can also be fatal. But this problem can be prevented by taking certain measures such as drinking loads of water, keeping indoors during the daytime and eating food items which are cool in nature. Food items which have high water content along with the essential nutrients and electrolytes should be a part of your daily summer diet.
With the soaring temperature, it is very important to keep your body well hydrated while keeping it cool and for that matter you need to consume lots of cooling food items. Summers can be very unforgiving for your overall health so make sure to take extra care of yourself. As you already know that prevention is better than cure, today we have made a compilation of the food items that will keep you cool in the summer and thus reducing the chances of heat stroke.
1. Apples- As they say that an apple a day keeps the doctor away fits perfectly when we are talking about a food item that can save you from heat strokes. An apple contains 84% water in it which makes it the perfect summer snack. Along with that, it protects your body from so many other serious diseases like cancer, heart attacks, diabetes, etc.
2. Cucumbers- Cucumbers are available in abundance during summers so try to make the most of it by consuming it on a daily basis. Cucumbers contain almost 95% water content which means it is just as good as drinking water. Plus, even if you eat a lot of it, you are still not going to put on any extra weight as it is also one of the best diet food items.
3. Coconut water- Coconut water is packed with electrolytes and is loaded with simple sugars and minerals which not only replenish the water content in your body but also provide it with all the required nutrients as well. It consists of five of the main minerals named as calcium, manganese, iron, zinc and magnesium. Make sure to drink coconut water on a regular basis in order to keep yourself sunstroke safe.
4. Watermelon- Watermelon is also one of the best food items to include in your summer diet. It consists of 92% water content which means it add to your total body fluid content. Along with this, it also contains 6% sugar which provides energy to the body. This fruit has all you need to be summer ready so there is no reason for you to be waiting. Start binging on this delicious fruit and keep yourself safe from the heat strokes.
5. Lettuce- Some people may find lettuce boring but this salad leaf has so much more to it. It is one of the best food items to include in your diet this summer as it has 94% water content along with the vitamin A. so make sure to include this leafy goodness in your summer diet and keep heat strokes at bay.
6. Radish- As compared to winter, summer radishes are a lot more peppery in taste but that should not stop you from eating it. Radishes are high in water content along with antioxidants and vitamin C all of which add to the cooling nature of it. You add radish to your summer salads for a peppery taste.
7. Muskmelon- The little brother of the watermelon is just as delicious and nutritious as the elder brother. Muskmelons also fall under the category of watery fruits and thus has a very high content of water. It helps in maintaining the body temperature at a low and thus reducing the effect of heat stroke.
8. Lemon- Probably everyone is familiar with this one. Spending a lot of time outdoors in summers can suck up all the energy out of your body thus, lemon water is highly recommended for those sultry days. The vitamin C, magnesium, potassium, and phosphorus get back your energy level to normal. Along with that, it also protects your body against the hot sun thus preventing heat strokes.
9. Buttermilk- Buttermilk or Chhaas or Chaach as we call it in India is a great body coolant. It is a milk product and somewhat similar to curd. It is a great probiotic drink and thus helps in improving your digestion which is a great matter of concern for people. So make sure to have a glass of chilled buttermilk in the morning before you head out of the home.