Summers are here and in this dreadful weather all that you want to wear are your shorts and skirts. But one thing that often stops you from wearing them are those pesky little hairs on your legs. Even with regular visits to the salon you cannot avoid those in between visit hair. During this time, we like to rely on our trusty razor. Normally we like to use a shaving cream or foam to shave but today I am going to share with you an amazing ingredient which is a perfect alternative to your shaving cream and i.e. coconut oil.
Most of have grown up getting our heads massaged with coconut oil but never thought that it can also be used to get rid of the unwanted hair. So today I am going to share with you the benefits of using coconut oil for shaving and how to use it.
So without any further blabbering let’s get started.
Why is coconut oil a better option?
1. It is moisturizing- It moisturizes your skin while you are shaving it, which is not possible even when you use a moisturizing shaving cream or foam.
2. It is cheap- A big jar of coconut oil will cost you much less than your regular shaving cream or foam. Plus, you need to use a very small amount of the coconut oil as compared to the shaving foam.
3. It has anti-bacterial properties- Coconut oil has natural anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties which mean that you don’t have to apply an after shave lotion in order to avoid any sort of rashes or irritation.
4. It is an all-natural product- It is a natural product so you are not putting any chemicals on your body neither you are adding harmful chemicals to the environment as well. Earth-saving mode..!
5. It smells great- The coconut oil smells amazing already so you don’t have to worry about dealing with it.
Coconut oil shaving cream recipe:
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup aloe vera gel
- 4-5 drops of your favorite essential oil
- Melt the coconut oil lightly in the microwave. Add the aloe vera gel and the essential oil to it. Mix all the ingredients well. store your coconut oil shaving cream in a clean jar.
- You need to apply a thin layer of your coconut oil shaving cream on the desired area and leave it on for a couple of minutes before shaving it.
- The coconut oil will moisturize your skin while the aloe vera gel will soften your hair.
- You can add any essential oil of your choice but the most preferred ones are peppermint, tea tree and lavender. The peppermint will give you a cooling sensation, the lavender will soothe your nerves while the tea tree acts a great antiseptic.
Tips to get the smoothest shave:
- The most important thing when it comes to getting a close shave is all about getting the right type of tools. Thus, it is very important that you use a razor which is sharp enough to give you a close shave. If your razor has worn out, then toss it in the dustbin and get a new one.
- If you want to get a close shave, then it is important that you get your pores opened up before starting. For that, you need to get a warm shower or bath. The warmth will open up all your pores and you will get a close shave. This will also prevent razor bumps and burns.
- Before you start with shaving, spend a few minutes to scrub your body well as it will get rid of all the dead skin cells and will prevent ingrown hair later on. You can either use your loofah or a homemade body scrub to wash away the dead skin cells.
- Using a moisturizing shaving cream will not only help the razor to glide smoothly but will also moisturize the skin while you shave.
- In order to get the closest shave, you need to move your razor in the opposite direction of your hair growth. So after you have applied your coconut oil shaving cream, lightly glide your razor in the opposite direction of your hair growth. No need to shave the same region multiple times. Doing so may lead to razor bumps, irritation and cuts.
- After you are done with shaving, wash the area with some warm water and pat dry with a clean soft towel.