Bajra Khichdi recipe is one of the popular and basic dishes from the states of Haryana and Rajasthan. This simple dish is not only nutritious but, it is also a great option for the people who are trying to lose weight because it contains a very low amount of calories. Also, you can serve this dish with curd to cool down your digestive system. So, try out this healthy recipe at home and enjoy with your family and friends.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Ingredients needed for bajra khichdi:
- Bajra- 1 cup
- Beans- 1/2 cup
- Onion- 1/2 cup
- Oil- 1 teaspoon
- Jeera- 1 teaspoon
- Carrot (shredded)- 1/2 cup
- Peas (peeled)- 1/2 cup
- Turmeric- 1/4th teaspoon
- Chilli powder- 1 tablespoon
- Salt- 1 teaspoon
- Green split moong dal- 1/2 cup
Now, how to make bajra khichdi:
- First, wash the moong dal nicely and soak it in water for half an hour.
- After that clean the bajra with water and soak it for an hour.
- Now, take a cooker and add 1 teaspoon of oil to it.
- Then, add 1 teaspoon of jeera to it.
- Once the jeera starts to crackle, add chopped onions to it and stir.
- When the onions are slightly cooked add carrots to it.
- Now, add peas and chopped beans to the pressure cooker.
- Again stir all the ingredients properly.
- Once the veggies are slightly cooked, add moong dal with water in which it was soaked.
- Then, add the soaked bajra along with the water.
- Add some more water and let it boil.
- In the meantime add chili powder, turmeric powder and salt to it.
- After that add some extra water for the right consistency.
- Now, close the lid of the cooker.
- Then, pressure cook it for 3 to 4 whistles.
- After that turn off the flame and let it cool for 10 minutes.
- And your bajra khichdi is ready.