Onion methi achaar is a very simple and unique North Indian recipe which is prepared by cooking onions and soaked fenugreek seeds with lots of spices. This pickle recipe is so unique as you can store it for a week and can have it as a side dish with roti and rice. The taste of this pickle is very different from others because of the bitter taste of methi and amazing flavours of spices.
So, let’s get started with the recipe of onion methi achaar.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Total time: 8 hours
Serves: 1 bowl
Ingredients needed for onion methi achaar:
• Methi seeds (soaked and rinsed) -1 cup
• Jeera- 2 teaspoons
• Oil- 8 tablespoons
• Onions (sliced)- 3
• Salt- according to taste
• Chilli powder- 4 teaspoons
• Turmeric powder- 1 teaspoon
• Coriander powder- 3 teaspoons
• Hing- a pinch
• Water- as per requirement
• Saunf- 4 teaspoons
• Kalonji- 3 teaspoons
• Amchur powder- 2 teaspoons
Also read: Tangy Mango Pickle Recipe
Now, how to prepare onion methi achaar:
Before starting with the recipe, you need to do one thing. Soak methi seeds for 8 hours and then rinse it properly and transfer it into a bowl.
• First, take a pan and heat oil.
• Now, add hing and jeera to it.
• Then, add onions once hing and jeera turn brown in colour.
• Sauté them on high flame for about 2 minutes.
• Add the soaked methi to the pan.
• Mix all the ingredients well.
• Add chilli powder and salt to the pan.
• Then, again mix all the ingredients.
• After a minute add kalonji and saunf.
• Mix all the ingredients well again.
• Now, add coriander powder, turmeric powder with amchur powder.
• Then, sauté everything properly.
• Let it cook for a minute.
• Your onion methi achaar is ready to be served.