The fairer, the better! If this is your skin care motto, merely shouting it out loud is not going to help! If you are reading this, your so-called collection of products has probably failed to give you the white skin tone that you want so bad, or perhaps it didn’t work the way you thought it would.
Anyway, you can rather solve a problem instead of whining about it. Now all the talk is going to be about how you can whiten your skin. Its doesn’t seem that simple and it’s not, to be honest.
What To Do?
Now that’s the apt question and I know your curiosity for the answers is shooting up! So read on. You will be needing both cosmetic and home remedies, in case you’re planning to stick with only one of them. As for cosmetics you will always have that trade-off between the whitening effect of the product and the way your skin will react to it. With home remedies for skin whitening, you are least likely to have that trouble, unless your skin is exceptionally sensitive. we have some wonderfully workable skin whitening tips for you-
Whitening Your Skin With Cosmetic Products
In case you haven’t figured out yet, your choice of products matters a lot, if you are aiming some particular results. Firstly, you need to make sure that you have the best skin whitening products. By best, it means that the product should be high in quality and easy on your skin. A harsh product is only going to add to your troubles. And yes I am not judging how much it weighs on your pockets yet!!
Things To Take Care of for Real Skin Whitening Results:
Keep these key points in mind while you use your skin care products!
Use The Sunscreen Daily
Despite being a source for one of the essential vitamins, the sun might seem an angel for your health, but it can wreak all sorts of havoc on your skin.
- It is necessary that you apply a sunscreen before stepping out in the sun. Skipping it knowingly or unknowingly, will expose your skin to the UV rays of the sun, causing tans and sunburns.
- Mind that UV rays are also known for causing skin cancer. So make it a habit to put on a sunscreen everyday. Wear a hat and sunglasses for extra protection when you go out.
Be Regular In Cleansing And Exfoliation
Dirt and pollution take their toll on your skin almost daily, causing dead skin cells to accumulate and form a layer. This layer has to be removed so that the fresh layers of skin get relieved. Cleansing and exfoliation happen to be the best ways for that.
- Cleansing your face twice a day removes the dirt and oils from your skin.
- Exfoliation scrubs off the dead skin cells and allows a new layer of skin to show up.
Cleansers and exfoliators are on the top in the list of skin whitening products.
Moisturize Your Skin Everyday
Your skin needs to retain moisture for a long time. For this you should apply a moisturizer everyday.
- Choose a moisturizer based on your skin type. Applying it daily will keep your skin soft and keep-up its elasticity.
- A light moisturizing lotion is apt if your skin is oily or blemish-prone. On the other hand, if you have a dry skin, go for heavier moisturizers.
Go For A Skin-lightening Cream
It is not at all hard for you to find some good skin-lightening creams along with other over-the-counter beauty products. Like any other product, these creams need to be checked for allergies or irritation before you start using them.
- These creams restrict the production of melanin, the pigment responsible for tans and sun spots.
- It is preferable to choose a cream rich in skin-lightening ingredients like Vitamin C, alpha hydroxy acid and glycolic acid.
- Usually it is safe to use these creams. Still, make it a point to follow the instructions given on the pack and stop the usage immediately in case of a bad reaction.
- Avoid those creams in which mercury is the active ingredient.
Apply Retinoid Cream
Prepared using an acidic form of Vitamin-A, lighten your skin effectively by exfoliating it and speed-up the cell turnover.
- Besides lightening you skin and clearing discoloration, retinoid cream also helps to smooth out the wrinkles and fine lines, and plumps the skin, thus making it look younger and brighter. It can also help to clear acne, when used in higher concentration.
- Your skin may face dryness, flakiness and redness initially, when you start using these creams. Once you get used to the product, these symptoms should subside. If they don’t, stop using it and consult a skin care expert as soon as possible. Apart from that, these creams can make your skin more sensitive to sunlight, so it is better to apply these at night.
- You can purchase retinoid creams, only if they have been prescribed by a doctor. So schedule an appointment with your dermatologist whenever you wish to use these creams. Retinol, a less potent form of retinoid, does not need a prescription.
If not the best cream for skin whitening, hydroquinone is definitely one among the effective ones. It helps to bleach the moles and sunspots, and lightens the large areas of the skin.
- Despite being approved as an effective skin lightener in the US, hydroquinone has been banned in some parts of Asia and Europe, due to some studies which claimed the ingredient to be carcinogenic. Besides it may also cause permanent discoloration.
- The decision regarding whether you are going to use hydroquinone-based products or not, is a very important one and you should to take it seriously. It is better to have a discussion with your doctor or dermatologist before choosing these products. Products having up to 2 percent of hydroquinone are available over-the-counter, while those having more than that, need a prescription.
Use A Chemical Peel
This is yet another effective way of lightening the skin. In this process, the topmost layers of your skin affected by pigmentation and discoloration get burnt away, thus allowing the fresh lighter layer of skin to show up.
- A chemical peel basically involves an acidic substance which is thoroughly applied on your face, left for five to ten minutes and then removed. Your skin may feel a stinging, burning or tingling sensation due to the peel. Sometimes your skin may look swollen or red for a couple of days after you have used the peel.
- It is recommended that you apply a peel once in every 2 to 4 weeks. During these weeks, it is necessary to avoid sun-exposure and apply sunscreen carefully as your skin now has a higher sensitivity.
If your skin is too sensitive to creams and acid peels, microdermabrasion is a good alternative for you. Deeply exfoliating your skin, microdermabrasion polishes it by removing the layers of dead skin cells, thus making it look fresher and brighter.
- This process involves a small closed vacuum having a rotating diamond tip. When it is applied to the face, the dead skin cells get sucked in to the vacuum and eventually get removed.
- It usually takes 15 to twenty minutes for a single treatment. For noticeable results , you need to take 6 to 12 treatments.
- For some people, skin may get red or dry after having the treatment. However, side-effects are much fewer in microdermabrasion.
Skin Whitening Using Home Remedies
What relieves you more? Spending big bucks in some drugstore or solving the problem right at your home. Obviously the latter one. No matter how much you endorse the cosmetics, there always a little risk for your skin while you use those. With home remedies, most of the ingredients you use are natural and hence are least likely to harm your skin.
These simple home remedies will help you a lot in skin whitening.
Lemon juice is known to contain citric acid. Citric acid happens to be a natural bleaching agent and thus can help in skin whitening.
- Take the juice from half of a lemon and dilute it with water, reducing its strength by half. Apply this mixture on the areas of your skin which you wish to lighten, using a cotton ball.
- Let the mixture stay on your skin for 15 to 20 minutes. It is better not to go out at this time as lemon juice makes your skin hyper-sensitive to sun.
- Rinse your face with water once you are done. Following this, apply a good moisturizer. Lemon juice can dry out your skin. The way to compensate for the loss of moisture is to apply a moisturizer.
Make A Turmeric Paste
The Indian spice which is known to add color and taste both to the food, is also being used in skin care for thousands of years. It is known to restrict the production of melanin in the body, and thus prevents tans and discoloration.
- Make a fine paste by mixing turmeric, chickpea flour and olive oil. Apply this paste on your skin, moving your hands in circular motion. This way your skin will get exfoliated.
- Wait for at least fifteen minutes before washing it off. The turmeric may add a distinct yellow color to your skin. This color normally wears off quickly.
- Doing this once or twice a week will give you really good results.
Rubbing with Raw Potato
Not much of a healthy diet, still potato can work wonders for your skin. Apart from being a highly effective remedy for treating sunburns, potato also helps a lot in skin whitening.
- Cut a raw potato into two halves. Rub the skin areas you want to lighten, with the fleshy side of any one of the halves., so that the juice spreads on the area.
- Let the juice stay on the areas for 15 to 20 minutes and then rinse the areas with water.
- For beneficial results you will have to use this remedy several times in a week. A cucumber or tomato too can be used in the same way, as both of these are rich sources of Vitamin C.
Apply Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe Vera is very effective in soothing your skin. It reduces the redness and causes the discoloration to fade away. Apart from that, it adds moisture to the skin and rejuvenates it.
- Remove a leaf from the aloe vera plant and scoop out its gel.
- Rub this gel thoroughly on your skin.
- Aloe Vera gel is actually very gentle and soothing for your skin. So you don’t necessarily have to remove it. However, you can wash it off if it makes your skin feel sticky.
You can’t think of a beverage better than coconut water which keeps your body internally cool. As a matter of fact, the same liquid has proven to be helpful in skin lightening.
- Rub your skin with a cotton ball dipped in coconut water. Coconut water is very mild on your skin, so there is no need to wash it off.
- Drinking coconut water keeps you hydrated and allows easy intake of essential minerals.
Yogurt has already been known for its skin lightening properties. Applying it directly on the skin makes the scars fade and enhances the complexion.
- Mix a tablespoonful of fresh yogurt with 8 to 9 drops of fresh lemon juice and a tiny droplet of rose, lavender or jasmine flower oil.
- You can switch these oils for vanilla essence if you like.
- Blend the mixture well, cover it and wait for it to settle down.
- Apply this mixture as a night cream. Alternatively, you can apply it like a mask, all over your face and neck. Wash it off with lukewarm water after 40 minutes.
A lot of beauty treatments use papaya. Having bleaching properties and essential nutrients, papaya helps in lightening your complexion and renders a healthy glow to your skin.
- You can eat papaya directly as a fruit. It will internally cleanse your skin and remove the impurities which may cause it to get dark.
- Rub your face with the inner side of a papaya. Wait till it gets dry and then rinse your face with cold water. Pat your face with a clean towel and you will have a glowing skin. Make it a daily routine.
- Properly mash one ripe papaya. Add a cup of fresh lemon juice to it. Mix it well and apply the mixture all over your face. Leave it for half an hour and them wash it off with cold water. Doing this weekly once will bring about visible changes in your skin tone.
Vitamin C happens to be one of the most important nutrients for skin care and oranges are a rich source of that. Besides, the bleaching properties of oranges enhance the skin tone.
- Drinking orange juice on a regular basis improves the texture of the skin, making it even more supple.
- Mix two spoons of orange juice with a pinch of turmeric powder to make a fine paste. Apply this paste thoroughly all over your face and neck, at night before going to sleep. Wash it off next morning.
- Grind dried orange peels into a fine powder and mix one tablespoon of this powder with an equal amount of plain yogurt to make a paste. Evenly apply this paste all over your face. Let it stay on for at least 15 minutes and them wash it off with cold water. This will make the dark spots and other marks on your skin fade away.
Gram flour can give you a highly effective skin whitening treatment at home. Its nutrient content maintains the health of your skin. It also removes excess oils from your skin and makes it retain the moisture.
- Make a thick paste, mixing gram flour with some water or rose water
- Apply this paste on your face neck, hands and feet. Wait for it to dry.
- Rinse the areas with cold water.
Honey is on the list of one of the best natural moisturizing agents. It helps to prevent dryness which is one of the major causes of uneven skin tone.
- Thoroughly mix one teaspoon each of lime juice and honey, with half a teaspoon of almond oil and tablespoon of milk powder. Apply this mixture all over your face and let it stay on for fifteen minutes. Rinse your face This works wonderfully as a skin whitening mask.
- On your face, apply pure honey and leave it for a few minutes. Rinse your face with lukewarm water. This will make your skin look fresher and brighter.
Medication For Skin Whitening! Do You Really Prefer That?
It is said not to hide anything from your doctor, but firstly do you really need a doctor for every single issue? I know skin troubles can sometimes be disastrous but those are the rare ones. The measures talked about above are more than enough to give you a successful skin whitening treatment.
However if you are an exception, ponder over these before you start taking medication!
- Any medication without a prescription is as good as a sweet poison. So make sure you get an approval from your doctor first.
- Overdoing anything is going to harm you in the long run. You can’t extend the medication just because its effects are good.
Surgery is the last option, and its is better if you keep it that way! Cryosurgery can make skin whitening a lot easier, but not everybody benefits from that. Hope you won’t be needing it!